Since these goodies finally made it to their new home, I'm so excited to finally share a few things I made recently for a new baby! One of my best friends from university told me way back in the winter that she was expecting, and immediately started thinking of what to make. I hadn't spent a ton of time looking around the baby portion of Ravelry, I was quickly overwhelmed and then just.. put off deciding. Both things I knit wound up being inspired by what was in my stash (go me!) and I'm really happy with both. Without further ado:
The first sweater I cast on was Camilla Babe by Carrie Bostick Hoge. I utterly adore this pattern and have thought about knitting the grownup one for myself, so this seemed like a great opportunity to try out the stitch pattern and make something classic looking at the same time. I used Quince and Co. Lark (which had been in my stash since the early days of Quince where they handwrote labels!) and I did a bit of colourblocking in Bird's Egg and Peacock to get around an odd number of skeins. I'm really pleased with the result! (Rav Link)
One bummer about the Camilla Babe is that it's a bottom-up raglan which means those awkward rows where you have to join up and nothing fits on needles properly and blah blah. So, instead of powering through, I cast on something new! This was a purely selfish knit - I just found the Popcorn Vest to be equal parts hilarious and adorable and couldn't help myself. I received a skein of Cestari Ash Lawn in my Fibreshare package a few months back, and it seemed like a great choice for a July baby. In the end, cotton was maybe not the best choice for a bobble-based garment (I noticed some gaping in places) but it blocked out beautifully. (Rav Link)
Last but not least - the quilt! I did start this one as a selfish project as well, but after seeing nursery pictures I knew where it belonged. The top is made up of a mis-mash of Lotta Jansdottir prints - some circa 2012 and some more current - and I love how they came together. The inspiration for the piecing came from the Brooklyn Knitfolk Quilt-a-long and the back is a combination of some Cotton and Steel I had in my stash as well as every last little scrap of the top prints. This was fully improvised and I'm really happy with how it came together!
Now that these projects headed out the door, I'm fully ready to be thinking about Rhinebeck sweaters and selfish vacation knitting. I'm going to be abroad for 2 weeks and am obviously spending more time than necessary thinking of the perfect project(s) to knit on the go. I hope you all enjoy the long weekend!